Back to the cheese's;
Feta came first, because the Ricotta is made from whey.
We used a new Feta recipe that included a live Feta culture in stead of buttermilk.
It turned out delish! I going to age it for a little while yet though.
I don't have any pictures of the process...because Abigail and Mom had the camera in AZ.
Then we made Ricotta (YUMMY)! It didn't take very long.
Here is a picture of the little bit of cheese that we have not eaten yet !
Are you hungry yet? (I am!)
Here are the recipes, just in case you got inspired!
Feta Cheese
---------------------
6 quarts milk
1/4 tsp Feta culture powder
1/2 tsp Rennet
1/2 cup canning/kosher salt
*Warm milk to 86 F. Sprinkle culture onto milk. Wait 2-4 min. Stir well from top to bottom.
*Let sit 45 min/ 1 hr, covered at 86 F.
*Add 1/2 tsp Rennet diluted in 1/4 cup cool water. Stir well (about 1 min).
* Wait for curds to form, 30 - 45 min.
*Cut curds into 1/2 " cubes and wait 5 min.
*Stir gently for 20 min at 86 F.
* Let curds settle to bottom before draining, then pour off whey.
*Hang curds in cheese cloth to drain for 2- 3 hrs.
*Break feta into 1- inch chunks. Make brine by dissolve1/2 cup salt and 1 quart cool water.
*Immerse the feta in the brine and refrigerator for 1-4 weeks.
* If cheese is to salty soak overnight in milk.
-ENJOY-
For the Ricotta just get:
1 gal Fresh whey
1 1/2 qts Whole goats milk
Mix whey and milk, heat to 195 F. Stir often. Keep at 195 F.
The Ricotta is ready to drain when tiny white flecks forming in the pot. Drain into cheesecloth and
hang to drain for 1 hr. Salt cheese to taste. Cheese will last one week. Refrigerate!
-----------------------------
If you try any of these recipes, please tell me about it!
I believe that Yogurt will be my next adventure :) Wish me luck !!!
Zoë
4 comments:
Good job, dear Zoe! Such an accomplishment for such an accomplished young lady...*sighs*
Yeah!! Good job, Zoe! :) That is exciting. Looks delicious... ;)
YAAAAAYYY, Zoe! I should try this. Actually, I think I'll save this recipe and do it for one of my "Extras" in school.
Zoe, Did you have lots of liquid left over after you made the Ricotta?
Post a Comment