April 18, 2013

.Market Projects.

Each year about this time, we purchase our Market Projects. The term Market Project means (to us) raising a meat goat specifically to show and sell at this year’s fair...

When raising a Market Project you have to keep records of everything! Weight & medical injections and what money you have spent (on feed or collars). You also have to walk them, teach them how to stand properly and care for their general well-being.  Believe me, it takes a lot of effort and sweat (especially the walking part)!

This year I am going to be doing double of all the above. That's because I have decided to raise 2 market projects :)
Today, we went to a farm and picked out the goats! It was such a hard decision (because there were so many and I have such a hard time making choices!) but we finally made up our minds!

Abigail & Lincoln with their choices 
Checking her out 
Abigail  & her choice
Bethany, being my little helper, held one while I looked at the other!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 The next major step is choosing a name. It takes me awhile to choose "the perfect name" (some of you have witnessed this first hand!)

Lincoln got a buck and named him DODGE
 I think I could have told you he would name his goat that! He has been going through a Dodge stage (at least I hope it's a stage!) I keep trying to convince him that Toyota and Ford is better... but I don't think he's been listening!
Abigail also got a buck and named him POPEYE
As in, the popular cartoon character Popeye, who eats spinach, which enables him to be super strong. She wants her goat to be very strong, and personally I wouldn't put it past her to feed him spinach on the sly (just to see if it works!)
I named my two does: PAIGE & ARCHER
I wanted to go with a theme, and Paige and Archer are both medieval names (at least that is where their origin came from).  Paige refers to a "young servant" in training to be a knight, and Archer means "bowman"....I liked the name Paige mostly because of the way it's spelled, and Archer because I like hunting (with a bow :)

Bethany is holding Paige, Dodge is hidden by Lincoln & I am ...uhum, dragging Archer along.
(Not sure where Abigail & Popeye are)

(Hopefully, in the next coming days I can get some nicer pictures to share!)...



And now you know what a Market Project is!

Well have a wonderful day,
Zoë


6 comments:

FAITH said...

Nice goats!! I love the name of lincoln's goat. How old are they?
love,
faith

Kaybid said...

I'm so glad for you that you got new goats:)
They are sooo cute<3
May God Bless u,
Keila

Zoë said...

Thanks Faith & Keila for your comments!
Faith, they have to be born after Jan 1st (fair requires it). Between that time to start Feb is the ideal "birthday" time. All our new goats are within that date range.

Joanna said...

They are so cute (and soft)!! :) You all came up with cute names! :)

Elisabeth said...

You guys always pick the cutest names. Our 4-H EXPO is next week. Serenity shows on Thursday and Justus on Friday. Saturday is the Auction!

Ashley said...

Awww they are so cute. May God bless you all. See you soon!!!!!!!