September 14, 2010

The Handkerchief....

>Handkerchiefs have been around since Ancient Egypt. But they were not commonly used until the Middle Ages, (ladies would give Knights their handkerchiefs to tie behind their helmet.)


>In America handkerchief's did not become popular until the cotton industry was established. (They were mass produced and more often than not carried political messages!)



"Hankie" Signals (just a few!):

Drawing across the lips- Desirous of an acquaintance


Drawing across the eyes-I am sorry


Letting it rest on the right cheek-Yes


Letting it rest on the left cheek-No


Folding it-I wish to speak to you


Over the shoulder-Follow me


Opposite corners in both hands-Wait for me


Placing on left ear-I have a message for you



(I think this was the most interesting for me!)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My inspiration:


Recently a Sister in our Church gave all of us girls a pocket handkerchief, with a little bird embroidered on one of the corners. Adorable!



The top one is mine and this one ^ is Abigails....


Have a WONDERFUL Day!


~Zippi


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really interesting! I love my Handkerchief! <3

Joanna said...

Wow!!! I love mine too!!!